History of the Saugus
Native Americans called the river Aboutsett which means winding
Native Americans called the beach which runs from Swampscott to Revere
Saugus, which means long and extended.
Salmon were often speared from the river by the early Native Americans.
Settlers called it the river at Saugus, which was later shortened
to Saugus River.
The first known commercial fishery in this area was constructed in
1632 on the River at Saugus. Great quantities of alewives and bass were
Small boats, which transported materials to and from the Iron Works,
could navigate the river up to the Iron Works harbor and dock during
Since the Iron Works was established in the 1640's, the Saugus River
has attracted industries such as grist mills, chocolate mills, wool
and flannel mills and a tannery.
The original dam for Prankers Pond was built in 1642 to supply waterpower
for the Iron Works. It was enlarged in 1846 by Edward Pranker to power
"The Saugus River is a vital resource which can provide many
uses to the residents of the Saugus River watershed, including fishing,
canoeing, swimming, or just getting back to nature. By becoming more
aware of this valuable river and its history, we, as citizens, can help
restore its beauty and its recreation opportunities."
Joe Vinard, President, Saugus Cooperative Bank